Thursday, July 24, 2014

Before

Pin It This is a reprint of a blog post I made a couple of years ago when I blogged at Cottage Hill.  I'm re-posting it now because I will be revamping my sewing area in the next couple of weeks and wanted to share my starting point. It was lovely.  I miss it already.

******************************************

The transformation of this antique french armoire into a sewing cabinet has been months and months in the making but I think it's the best dang (math) project  I've ever done.



Not that I'm mathematically challenged.  I just don't challenge myself mathematically -- that's all.  But for this one, I had to rip out the old count-u-la-tor and a few extra brain cells to get what I wanted. 



The "fit" had to be exact and I'm not sure how, but I got it on the first try -- but just barely.  The problem was I needed the table to be as large as possible but still fit inside the cabinet.  Oh, and I wanted the doors to close, too.  Pesky doors.




I wish I had some really great tutorial to add here but everyone's armoire and measurements would be different so that won't really work.  I can post a boat load of pictures so you can see just how it works.  Here you go...


Little Miss Plain Jane...


 I used just one sheet of birch plywood, three piano hinges and drop leaf table hardware I found on the internet.



I had to lift up the back end so the height was right.



I added a yardstick to the front edge for convenience.


 And then I added a few bells and whistles.



Hooks on the back wall hold templates.




I wanted hanging storage on the doors but the doors wouldn't close with it hanging there so...


I stitched them onto child sized hangers.  I flip the hangers to the back when they're hanging on the doors....


Then I hang them in the cabinet when I need to close the doors.


My sewing machine slips right into place...


The table folds up...


And my sweet little grandtwin's guest room is back in business...












Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something nice to say? Just leave a comment here and I'll pass it along to Ruby Jean -- she loves comments!