Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Adele Sew-Along Day 4

Pin It I hope you all enjoyed your Day 3 sewing project.  Wow!  Mixing and matching fabrics is one my favorite things in life.  I'm loving all the really cute fabrics, new and repurposed, you guys are using.  Very inspiring!  





Making the Shoulder Ties

I used to avoid certain patterns if they had straps or sashes or anything long and skinny that might have to be turned.  Too much work.  I sew to relax.

That's why I'm gonna show you 3 ways to make these ties.  I think they all work equally well.  But, of course, I recommend the turned tubes if you have tube turners so I'll demo them first.  

Tube Turners come in a boat load of sizes - I think I have them all.  The 3/8" size seems to work best for this size tube.  



 I'm sharing a different video than before.  It shows better detail and I don't mean the Victoria Secrets ad at the beginning.


 

I'm still fascinated with this gadget.  Don't you wonder who thought of this?


If you're wanting that same turned look but don't have the tool (yet), there's a low tech way to acheive it.














The last sample doesn't require turning at all.  Simply fold and press and stitch...





That's it for the shoulder ties.  Now let's attach them.






This next step can be used anytime you're trying to sew two edges together and you need those edges to stay perfectly aligned.  By lowering the needle 1/8" from the edge and going forward a couple of stitches before reversing back to the edge, you're anchoring the two edges together, keeping them aligned. 





Prizes again today..show me what you have!!!






Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Where did you find that darling bird fabric?? My daughter loves birds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove this fabric myself! You can find it here...

      http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/dear_stella_house_designer/poloma/poloma_birds_in_mist

      Delete
  2. Love the bird fabric ! I was wondering is there also top stitching for the curves ?
    xoxo
    Nanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanda!
      I love that fabric, too. You can find it here...
      http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/dear_stella_house_designer/poloma/poloma_birds_in_mist

      Delete
    2. No top stitching. However, I'll bet it would look good if you wanted to!

      Delete

Got something nice to say? Just leave a comment here and I'll pass it along to Ruby Jean -- she loves comments!